RB is a relatively small user of palm oil in a consumer goods context and 95% of the palm oil we use is bought indirectly (i.e. from suppliers that use palm oil as an ingredient in the raw materials they supply to us).
Nonetheless, RB is committed to helping address the issues around palm oil sourcing.
RB fully supports the goal of no deforestation or degradation of peatlands (of any depth), primary or High Carbon Stock forests, or High Conservation Value areas, associated with the cultivation of palm oil.
We are a member of the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) and are working with suppliers and others in the industry to transform the global palm oil supply chain to ensure palm oil supplies come from traceable, responsible sources.
Our approach has three strands:
1. Engaging with suppliers to build traceability of our palm oil supply chain and ensure our responsible sourcing and production requirements are met.
We are a member of TFT, the international non-profit organisation working to build responsible product supply chains. Working with TFT, we have reviewed and updated our sourcing standards and are undertaking a detailed review of our physical palm oil supply chain.
As part of this work, we’ve achieved traceability to refinery for 100% of our palm volumes (excluding surfactants).
Following on from this, our next steps are to:
• work with palm oil suppliers to trace palm oil back to mills by end 2015
• carry out pilot supplier risk assessment by end 2014
• roll out supplier assessments to our key palm oil suppliers by end 2015
• work with TFT to define and implement next steps (including defining the timeline for
full compliance) following completion of risk assessments by end 2015
2. Buying RSPO certiﬁed sustainable palm oil (CSPO) – by the end of 2014 we will buy Green Palm certificates to cover all our palm oil purchases.
3. Advocacy – We are working with expert groups to help raise awareness of the importance of sustainable palm oil and promote best practice.
Download our Policy & Standard for Responsible Sourcing of Natural Raw Materials
Download our Supplier Sustainability Guide